Monday, August 19, 2013

Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

For a very long time I fantasized about what my wedding ring would look like. I had these dreams of having a huge rock in the center surrounded by other smaller but not too small rocks with some crazy expensive setting from Tiffany's.



It had to come in that pretty little blue box, I couldn't imagine anything less. I'm not entirely sure where this obsession with having a Tiffany's ring came from, other than the fact that I love the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's and they are a well known jewelry company.  The idea of having a huge engagement ring started in high school; my friends and I would always say "It's going to be so big I won't even be able to hold up my hand without a truck". Okay, so we were a little crazy but isn't that the kind of thing you think about when you're a teenager and have no sense of what life is really like and where your priorities will really be?

I think I totally freaked Ethan out with my fantasy ring. I had got it into his head that anything less than that Tiffany thousand something dollar ring wouldn't be good enough. Plus there's that whole, you have to spend 3 months salary on it, myth thing; which I totally perpetuated. When in reality all I wanted was for him to "put a ring on it".


Ethan and I have talked about getting married for quite some time. It was probably even a topic of conversation when we first got together - which is typical for us but also pretty ridiculous. But it wasn't until this year when I finally started to get serious about when that time was going to come for us.

 One day in late winter, while we were taking a walk down main street to look at the ice sculptures from the winter carnival, Ethan asked if I wanted to go look at rings. I was stunned. I couldn't believe that he actually, really, wanted to go look at rings. I was also extremely giddy and excited to do this. We went into the two local jewelry stores in our town and of course I did try on some of my "fantasy" rings but, I found that I didn't love any of them.

I realized that what I actually wanted was the complete opposite of my "fantasy" ring. I also came to the realization that Ethan did not have to spend thousands of dollars to show that he loved me. The fact that we were standing there together trying on rings shouted to me in the loudest possible way that he loves me.

I found the perfect ring - it was reasonably priced and exactly what I never knew I wanted. I fell in love with a simple solitaire that seemed to fit my hand perfectly.  We left that day happy - Ethan was happy to know that he wouldn't have to sell his left arm for a ring and I was happy that maybe some day soon he'd be popping the question.

Over the next five months I brought up getting married as much as I could without being TOO annoying, although Ethan might say that I managed to be anyway. He started to say "Do you want it done right? Or do you want it to be perfect?" What exactly did that mean? Was there really a difference? All I wanted to know was if we were going to get engaged!

When it finally happened, it was perfect. It was more than I could ever have imagined. But that's a story I'll let Ethan tell you.




No comments:

Post a Comment